8.28.2008

Giving a gift

So, I gave a boy trail mix. That’s right…I paid attention to something he said (mainly that he liked to eat trail mix) so I went to the store and bought some, and then I picked up a card with it. I had to make sure it was pretty vague, nothing that said “I want to have your babies” on it, and then I dropped the little gift off at his apartment.

I am not going to say the response was horrible [it was] I am only going to say it was not great. “Thanks for the card” was his reply over g-chat the next day. Really? OK…apparently someone buying you TRAIL MIX is not a big deal. But, let me tell you…it IS a big deal.

I have come a long way since my high school and college days. There was a boy I was head over heels for in college (let’s call him Lava) and I just didn’t know how to act around him. I was pretty sure he was into me but he was just so PAINFULLY shy. You see, I am what they like to call stubborn. I only want to have to push so hard because then I actually feel like I am making some guy like me, and that just feels pathetic. So one day [again, after paying really good attention] I went out and bought Lava some Swedish fish. They’re one of his favorite little candies to munch on. But when it came time to give them to him, I chickened out. I had spend quite a bit of time the evening before making the cheesiest card you will EVER see [something to do with water and a goldfish and “of all the fish in the sea you’re the only one for me…gaaaaah!!!] Anyway, when I went to put the fish and card in his PO box I just didn’t sign my name – I left it anonymously. Now, how is THAT supposed to achieve what I wanted it to? And to make matters worse he got it right before the class we had together. So, throughout the entire class he was making comments about how thoughtful it was someone had left those for him, he couldn't figure out who it was, etc. And I was eating Swedish fish I had bought pretending I had no idea where they had come from. Real smoooooth.

But apparently even signing your name on the card doesn’t really help matters any more then anonymously giving it. THIS guy didn’t even share any of the trail mix. OK, baby steps though, I guess it is not realistic for a guy to know that trail mix is hinting at happily ever after.

Damn all those crafty girls that do this so frequently it makes us other girls look typical.

9 comments:

Mark Baker-Wright said...

I am not going to say the response was horrible [it was] I am only going to say it was not great. “Thanks for the card” was his reply over g-chat the next day. Really? OK…apparently someone buying you TRAIL MIX is not a big deal. But, let me tell you…it IS a big deal.

You seem to have expected something more, but I'm totally at a loss to imagine what would have been both appropriate and realistic....

Anonymous said...

maybe it wasn't a large enough amoungt of trail mix to be notable?

(j/k)

~e

Yeti said...

his response WAS both appropriate and realistic...i just wanted him to say "wanna make out" ;-)

------------

MAYBE it just wasn't the kind he liked, e :)

Anonymous said...

So what would you do if a single guy brought you some peanut M&Ms?

Yeti said...

game OVER, john ;-)

Anonymous said...

What if someone else stole the trail mix! if you left it outside his apartment- right? Some kid could have snatched it. Is it possible he didnt mention it because he didn't see it there?

Yeti said...

good point, sarah...he did only thank me for the CARD. although, i don't really know how they could have gotten separated. that would have been one crafty thief!!

Emma said...

ahh... someday you will find a boy who realises just how hard it is for you to get up the nerve to do it... and he will really appreciate it.... or maybe not :P who knows.

but i totally feel ya on this story. :)

Olivia Hein said...

my boyfriend was talking to me about this post and it reminded him of how he was during college. he was always "the nice guy" and he would do incredibly kind and thoughtful things to girls he liked and they sorta took it for granted.

i always give him a big hug whenever he brings me cheese. :)

someone, out there, will appreciate your trail mix gift.