3.26.2009

Marry for citizenship























The last poll question was about marrying someone to secure them citizenship. I have a friend that did this for one of her best friends and so far it has worked out. But there are certainly ramifications. I will say that I believe I have heard more NEGATIVE stories than positive ones when it comes to marrying for citizenship.

I got this question from a reader in Nepal. Nepal does not allow duel citizenship, but they do allow what is called “marriage visas” which is for those married to a Nepali citizen and wanting to stay in Nepal for as long as they like without getting a Nepali passport and giving up their country of birth passport, a non-tourist marriage visa is the best way. Changing from a tourist visa to a non-tourist visa can sometimes be a lengthy process and a lot of waiting around before they get to your file. But without one of these you typically have to leave the country every three to six months for a period of time.

I guess I don’t think marrying someone to get citizenship or a visa is a good idea, but if you have a standing relationship with them I can understand why you would consider it.

5 comments:

andrew j. ulasich said...

now this is something i've never thought of before. it is an option...

Yeti said...

haah! I thought for sure you would have heard of this, andrew. think susan would mind ;-)

[F]oxymoron said...

I know quite a few people who've married for reasons of citizenship. Sometimes it has worked. Other times it hasn't.

... I'd like to see you do this poll in 50, 100, and 150 years. Oh sweet, recession inducing globalization, what changes will you bring?? :)

Griselda Johnson said...

Yeah, this is a really tough one. When I worked with international students, I had a few marry to stay in the country and then just quit going to school. Problem was they were still in violation because unless your student status changed overnight, you were supposed to remain in school. Anyway, I have issues with it. Heck, I just have issues.

Andhari said...

I might be too uptight because I really dislike the idea of it. :/